Bringing GitLab in Fedora

Axilleas Pipinellis axilleas at archlinux.gr
Mon Mar 4 11:50:01 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 05:47 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Hi Axilleas,
>
> I think this would be great. I'm working on Gitorious myself, and it
> looks like Gitlab would share many dependencies. So that would make my
> job easier :) You might want to check out my wiki page [1]. I'm trying
> to keep it up to date so that I can have a visual indicator of the
> scope of the work. If nothing else, it might help you brainstorm how
> to track your own dependencies.
>
> In packaging Gitorious, there are four, fast-moving pieces:
>
> 1. Fedora (eg. the Ruby guidelines change almost every other release)
>
> 2. Ruby (eg. Ruby 2.0 will soon land in F19)
>
> 3. Rails (eg. Rails 4.0 will not run on EL6's Ruby)
>
> 4. And then upstream Gitorious itself is also changing.

I've seen your page about Gitorious and I had in mind making one for
Gitlab as well :)
Well, these 4 pieces you mentioned, pretty much apply to Gitlab as well,
so I'll keep them in mind.

> In the mean time, it's still really challenging to make all the
> puzzle pieces fit together while following Fedora's update policy
> guidelines, etc, and I anticipate many more months of work.
>
> It looks like Gitlab's Gemfile.lock is even bigger than Gitorious', so
> you must be really ambitious!
Yeap! Last time I checked the Gemfile.lockhad 500+ lines...
It sure isn't a project that will end in 3 months work. It's an ongoing
marathon
and a challenge worth pursuing :)

> One thing that you may want to look into up front is the idea of
> running Gitlab's test suite inside mock. I was sad to find out that
> Gitorious' test suite requires a running MySQL server instance, which
> means that I can't run the test suite inside Koji. I wonder if
> Gitlab's test suite has the same requirement. You may want to bring
> this up with your upstream devs.
Thanks for bringing mock to my attention :)
I will check Gitlab's test suites and see if I'm in the same position as
you are.

Thanks again for your time! Your help will be valuable,
as this is my first time ever packaging for Fedora.

Cheers!