Puppet and Ruby 2.0

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 16:04:50 UTC 2013

Dne 14.3.2013 16:49, Michael Stahnke napsal(a):
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Dne 14.3.2013 02:49, Michael Stahnke napsal(a):
>>
>>> What is the date to get a newer Puppet into F19?  Our master branch
>>> support Ruby 2.0.0 but we haven't cut a release from master for a
>>> while. (It would likely be Puppet 3.2.0).
>>>
>>> Puppet Labs probably won't move their entire release cycle for this,
>>> but I can inform them and have the Puppet core team make a good
>>> decision.
>>>

>>> stahnma
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> According to the Fedora 19 release schedule [1], everything should be done
>> prior "Alpha Change Deadline", i.e. prior 2nd of April. However, I assume
>> that Puppet is not part of release criteria and it is not shipped on install
>> media (although I might be wrong), so the worst case is Puppet as a 0-day
>> update, which is 25th of June.
>>
>> Please let me know, if you need any help with some dependencies. Or on
>> contrary, if I should not touch some of them, since I continue to fix all
>> broken dependencies.
>>
> Thanks. That does make sense. I'm not 100% sure the best way to fix up
> spec files for Ruby 2.0 yet. I wouldn't mind having you fix up
> Puppet's for Ruby 2.0 so I can learn that right way to do that.

Np. Could you please sent a list of packages we are speaking about? I'll
convert them and commit into git.

BTW how much conditionalized the .spec files should be? In other words,
what Puppet in what version of Fedora/EPEL are you going to maintain?
Looking into puppet.spec, I see there is already plenty of conditions
for different Fedoras, is it worth of keeping them? For example, there
are conditions for EPEL, but as I understand recent discussions, it
seems to be quite impossible to update Puppet in EPEL, therefore use
this .spec for EPEL.

Of course I can keep everything as it is now and add special conditions
for F19+. Just wanted to present you with options ;)

Vít