Ruby 2.0 RPM - Rails can't find psych

Peter Deffendol pete at deffendol.org
Tue Mar 26 23:28:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

I rebuilt the ruby-2.0.0.0-6 packages on CentOS 6 (requiring a couple of slight modifications to the spec file) and ran into some trouble:

[pete at centos railstest]$ ./script/rails c

/usr/share/ruby/yaml.rb:6:in `<top (required)>':
It seems your ruby installation is missing psych (for YAML output).
To eliminate this warning, please install libyaml and reinstall your ruby.
/usr/share/ruby/yaml.rb:7:in `require': cannot load such file -- psych (LoadError)
	from /usr/share/ruby/yaml.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
<snip>

I have all of the relevant packages installed - rubygem-psych, libyaml (from EPEL).

If I run an irb session, it loads correctly:

[pete at centos ~]$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'yaml'
=> true

I'm not sure where to look.  The load path is identical in both situations (puts $:)

/usr/local/share/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/local/lib64/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/share/ruby/vendor_ruby
/usr/lib64/ruby/vendor_ruby
/usr/share/rubygems
/usr/share/ruby
/usr/lib64/ruby/

Can anyone confirm if this also occurs on the Fedora-built packages, and have any idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Pete

--
Pete Deffendol