regin LoadError with rack-mount and backports when trying to run unicorn

Axilleas Pipinellis axilleaspi at ymail.com
Sun Sep 8 17:30:47 UTC 2013

Ok the title is a little bit mouthful and it contains 4 gems so I'll
break it down.

I am trying to run unicorn and get GitLab to work. In unicorn's error
log I see the following:

/usr/share/gems/gems/backports-3.3.2/lib/backports/tools.rb:328:in
`require': cannot load such file -- regin (LoadError)

I checked the aforementioned line [0] and I found no reference to regin.

It appears that regin comes as a bundled gem of rack-mount. I checked
the rack-mount.spec [2] and I saw that we ship it without the bundled
regin. In an effort to see if this will work, I copied the removed
vendor/ in /usr/share/gems/... and it worked.

I guess the reason is because in rack-mount/lib/rack/mount/utils.rb the
path to regin is hardcoded to point in vendor/ [3].

I will file a bug report but I wouldn't know how to describe the steps
to reproduce it. Any hints?

TL;DR
rack-mount raises LoadError without the bundled regin.

[0]
https://github.com/marcandre/backports/blob/v3.3.2/lib/backports/tools.rb#L328
[1]
https://github.com/josh/rack-mount/blob/master/lib/rack/mount/utils.rb#L3