/usr/share/gems/doc ownership

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Fri Sep 13 23:14:20 UTC 2013

jvcelak recently pointed out that the rubygems package does not own
/usr/share/gems/doc . This was news to me. I guess this changed
earlier this year:

commit 1d350ea912e72d30c7d079449db926ed4cb652a9
Author: TASAKA Mamoru <mtasaka at localhost.localdomain>
Date:   Mon Feb 25 18:05:45 2013 +0900

    Split out ri-generated documentation

I have a workstation that I updated from Fedora 17 to 19, and while I
don't have rubygems-doc installed, I still have a /usr/share/gems/doc
directory on this computer:

$ rpm -qf /usr/share/gems/doc
file /usr/share/gems/doc is not owned by any package

So this looks like something broke there :(

My bigger question is what to do about the Fedora Package Guidelines.
jvcelak pointed out that the requirement "Package must own all
directories that it creates" means that simply installing "rubygems"
is no longer enough to satisfy the dependency for my rubygem's -doc
subpackage. All rubygem-*-doc subpackages must now also require
rubygems-doc in order to comply with this guideline. (I have confirmed
that adding Requires: rubygems-doc to my -doc subpackage will silence
the warning from fedora-review.)

Can we please make the main rubygems RPM provide an empty %dir
/usr/share/gems/doc? This would avoid the need to change all the
rubygems packages that ship a -doc subpackage. It would also avoid the
unnecessary installation of rubygems-doc whenever installing a single
gem's -doc subpackage.

- Ken