packages failing to build on F21 due to minitest5

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 07:15:27 UTC 2014

Dne 11.6.2014 19:00, Ken Dreyer napsal(a):
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Julian C. Dunn <jdunn at aquezada.com> wrote:
>> What's the accepted wisdom to fixing these? Disable tests on f21+?
>> Convince upstream to upgrade? Both? Other suggestions?
> There are a couple of approaches here.
>
> The first step is to remove the "testrb" command and swap it for a
> simple ruby command. For example, see
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rubygem-capillary.git/commit/?id=2bba5fe91ea333344b965720670289be9535be64
> . For capillary, that was enough to fix the build, because the test
> suite only used Minitest::Spec and didn't use Minitest::Unit at all.
>
> If your gem uses Minitest::Unit then it can be a bit harder, and
> you'll need to port it to Minitest 5's syntax. Here's the four most
> common things I've run into when porting gems' test suites:
>
> 1) Rename all uses of "MiniTest::Unit::TestCase" to "Minitest::Test"
>
> 2) Change "require 'minitest/unit'" (or 'test/unit') to "require
> 'minitest/autorun'"
>
> 3) "assert_raise" functions should be renamed to "assert_raises"
>
> 4) "assert_not_foo" should be renamed to "refute_foo". For example,
> the "assert_not_nil" function is gone in Minitest 5. It should be
> replaced with "refute_nil".
>
> I've found that upstreams have been fairly receptive to patches that
> port to Minitest 5. So far svn2git, asciidoctor, resque-cleaner,
> geoip, literati and charlock_holmes have all accepted the pull
> requests for Minitest 5 support, and there are a couple of upstreams
> that are still reviewing the patches.
>
> Even if you can't port the test suite yourself, it is still a good
> idea to raise the issue with upstream.
>
> If you can't get the test suite to work, mtasaka has packaged
> minitest4 and it's available in Rawhide as a stop-gap until we can get
> everything ported over.

Interesting. There is possible to use BR: rubygem(minitest) < 5, which
would pull in the rubygem-minitest which comes from ruby SRPM.

> The last resort would be to disable the test suite during %check, but
> that's a last resort :) Even if you have to do this, at a minimum, it
> would be a good idea to put "BuildRequires: rubygem(minitest4)" so
> that we can all track this progress centrally using repoquery.

And several other notes:

* Be aware of packages which pulls in activesupport, which depends on
Minitest 5.x. For example rubygem-archivist is using the Ruby stdlib's
test/unit, i.e. minitest 4.x, but in the same tame it pulls in
activesupport and minitest 5.x. Of course this results in conflicts.

* We used this [1] monekypatch on several places. Not that I think it is
the best solution, but it might help temporary.

Vít

[1]
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rubygem-raindrops.git/tree/rubygem-raindrops.spec#n99