gem2rpm and upgrades of existing rpms

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 15:44:44 UTC 2014

Dne 23.6.2014 17:20, Joe Rafaniello napsal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone use gem2rpm to upgrade an existing rpm to new versions of upstream gems?
>
> I'm contemplating working on a pull request to make gem2rpm aware of an existing .spec file and only update specific sections such as: version, requires, buildrequires, and adding a changelog.  As it is now, it overwrites the existing rpm spec, removing any changelog entries, etc.
>
> Is this a good idea?  What do others do to regenerate the updated version, requires/buildrequires to avoid human error?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Joe,

I am not convinced that it is achievable with reasonable success. If I
might suggest, then just generate new spec file and compare/merge the
changes you are interested in.

Don't take me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from providing patch
and I am willing to accept it, but I doubt it will be robust enough for
general usage :/ Actually, go ahead and for gem2rpm and will see if we
can merge your changes back.

Vít