gem2rpm and upgrades of existing rpms

Joe Rafaniello jrafanie at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 18:47:38 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 06/23/2014 09:58 PM, Joe Rafaniello wrote:
> >

> > If gem2rpm could handle both initial and updates to the spec, we can
> > cleanly separate the responsibilities and just delegate to gem2rpm for all
> > or some of that work.
> > I would be happy to have polisher be the wrapper around gem2rpm for larger
> > "workflows."
> >
> > I have only glanced at the gem2rpm code and don't know how much effort it
> > is to handle "updates", this is just a curiosity at this point.
> >
> > For example, I'm curious how are changes in packaging conventions currently
> > handled?
> > Through new gem2rpm templates?
>
> Yes. By default is uses this template[0] which was recently updated to
> reflect new ruby 2.1 changes.
>
> > Is there a migration path for updating an existing rpm spec from an old
> > template to a new template?
> > Is this all done manually currently?  Are there tools to enforce/verify
> > packaging conventions?
>
> Vit, has written a set of scripts which update the specs to current
> guidelines[1], I don't know if some edge cases are missed though. You
> can follow a previous discussion[2].
>
> And to chime in the discussion, changing only the sections you mentioned
> should not be that big a deal.
>
> - version is easy to be fetched from rubygems.org
> - Changelog is also easy
> - Requires are not needed for fc21 and above (could use a different
> template for other branches)
> - BR could be tricky, since current implementation [3] (correct me if
> I'm wring) checks development deps from gemspec and eg. tools needed for
> the test suites might not be in that list. So, you can't avoid manual
> intervention after all.
>
> As Josef wrote, ideally what we need is some sort of a web app that
> checks/builds every time a new version is out.
>

> [0]
> https://github.com/lutter/gem2rpm/blob/master/templates/fedora-21-rawhide.spec.erb
> [1] https://github.com/voxik/fermig
> [2]
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ruby-sig/2014-April/001537.html
> [3]
> https://github.com/lutter/gem2rpm/blob/master/templates/fedora-21-rawhide.spec.erb#L21
>
> --
> FAS : axilleas
> GPG : 0xABF99BE5
> Blog: http://axilleas.me

Thanks.  Those are all good references.
Does anyone have opinions as to where automation of spec updates belong?
I'm wondering why gem2rpm wasn't used for Vit's "fermig" scripts?
It would be nice to have one tool that automated some of the rpm spec changes for rubygems packages.
I hope to get some cycles to work on adding update to an existing spec in gem2rpm in the next week or so, I'll report back anything I come up with.

Thanks.

--
Joe Rafaniello