Packaging guidelines for F21

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 17:26:10 UTC 2014

On 03/11/2014 04:45 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on draft of Ruby packaging guidelines for F21 [1]. The main
> two changes are:
>
> 1) Simplified packaging of binary extensions (although there is still
> one caveat [2]).
> 2) Changes due to automatic dependency generators.
>
> If you have any comments, suggestions, please let me know.
>

> Vít
>

> [1]
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=PackagingDrafts%2FRuby&diff=372210&oldid=372207
> [2]
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ruby-sig/2014-January/001484.html

Hey Vit read through the changes, they look good, save one point. Under
"Libraries" > "Rubygems"

"There '''should''' not be listed any <code>Requires</code> nor
<code>Provides</code>, since they are autogenerated."

I understand this is a 'should' and not a 'must' but perhaps this
restriction should only apply to "rubygem Requires", eg rubygem-curb
needs to have a dependency on libcurl which is seemingly in contrast w/
this item.

Perhaps something like this would work?

"There "should" not be any Rubygem <code>Requires</code> not
<code>Provides</code> listed since those are autogenerated"

Also what about BuildRequires, will those be autogenerated?

Other than that looks great, thx for this,

  -Mo