Minitest 5 update

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 16:59:26 UTC 2014

Dne 21.3.2014 17:18, Mamoru TASAKA napsal(a):
> Hello, Josef:
>
> Josef Stribny wrote, at 03/21/2014 09:11 PM +9:00:
>> Hi Rubyists,
>>
>> as you have probably noticed we would like to update Rails framework
>> to the latest version (4.1) when it's released[1].
>> The biggest task for us in this change is the update of Minitest to
>> version 5. This would require test suites
>> of many gems that depends on Minitest to be fixed.
>>
>> Here are the most significant changes of Minitest 5 taken from the
>> changelog[2]:
>>
> <snip>
>> So what do you think of this change? Should we address it by updating
>> upstream test suites?
>> Do you know about other issues that this can cause and I forgot to
>> mention?
>>

> The easiest solution is to just renaming the current minitest rpm as
> rubygem-minitest4

This is option of course. The question for me is what is bigger hassle?
Try to migrate as many libraries as we can to minitest5 in some
reasonable time or proactively introduce minitest4 version?

We can try to upgrade minitest to version 5 and if that proves, that it
causes more issues then it solves, then we can do review for
rubygem-minitest4.

Also note that no matter what we will do, there will always be available
the rubygem-minitest subpackage provided by Ruby's SRPM. So may be
explicitly specifying the version < 5 could be enough?

Vít