Ruby on Rails 4.1 landed in Fedora

Josef Stribny jstribny at redhat.com
Fri May 2 16:04:36 UTC 2014

Hi all fellow rubyists,

I am pleased to announce that we now have the latest version of the Ruby on Rails framework (4.1)
packaged in Fedora[1, 2]. You may have noticed we did the update alongside the Ruby 2.1 rebuild
as this was the most convenient.

The big success for us is the usage of the new version of tzinfo gem which by default depend on
the system zoneinfo files. Other notable changes are Minitest 5 (which we already discussed) and
the new gems rubygem-actionview and rubygem-spring.

Today I updated depending gems that are compatible with Rails 4.1 in their latest versions[3].
Those that don't support newest Rails yet remain broken. If I forgot on any gem, please remind me.

You can install rails and the default gems from the newly-generated Gemfile by running*:

`yum install rubygem-{rails,sqlite3,coffee-rails,sass-rails,uglifier,jquery-rails,turbolinks,jbuilder,therubyracer,sdoc,spring}`

Afterwards,

`rails new _app_ --skip-bundle && cd _app_ && bundle --local`

will avoid the need of downloading upstream gems.

And this brings me to another great thing. By updating to the latest RubyGems we got a working
upstream version of Bundler which means updating Bundler by `gem update bundler` is now safe && sane!

Hope you will like the changes as much as I do :).

Happy Weekend
Josef

* if it fails on sdoc, please wait some time until the newest build is available

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ruby_on_Rails_4.1
[2] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/4_1_release_notes.html
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ruby_on_Rails_4.1#Dependencies