Building Ruby 2.2

Christopher Rigor crigor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 05:50:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

I tried installing ruby2.2.0preview1 on fedora21 using a repo I found
on this list [1] but ran into some errors. I was able to install ruby
2.2.0preview1 on centos7 using this repo [2]

Error: Package: rubygem-io-console-0.4.2-23.fc21.x86_64 (fedora)
           Requires: libruby.so.2.1()(64bit)
           Available: ruby-libs-2.1.2-23.fc21.x86_64 (fedora)
               libruby.so.2.1()(64bit)
           Installing: ruby-libs-2.2.0-0.25.preview1.fc21.x86_64 (ruby22)
              ~libruby.so.2.2()(64bit)

Here's the full error [3].

What I'm really trying to do is build the spec file [4]. I've read the
wiki page [5] but need some help. I thought I'll start by getting the
SRPM and try rebuilding the spec first. I was able to get the SRPM for
centos from [2] but that didn't work because of the load function (I
think). There is no SRPM from [1] and I can't even install it to begin
with as mentioned above.

I am using rpmbuild. I've also read about mock, which I can use
locally, and koji, which I can't (I think). Before I spend more time,
I would appreciate any pointers on how to build the spec file. Should
I be using rpmbuild, mock, or koji?

My goal is to help test newer ruby versions by packaging it or just by
using it. I'm in the process of setting up a staging server of my
Rails app using ruby 2.2.0preview1.

I'm new to this list so let me know if I should be asking this somewhere else.

-Christopher

[1] http://scientific.zcu.cz/repos/ruby22-fedora21.repo
[2] http://scientific.zcu.cz/repos/ruby22-epel7.repo
[3] https://gist.github.com/crigor/2c19947c7691bb55efa5