Problem running spin with hercules

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 09:27:29 UTC 2009

On 08/04/2009 09:46 PM, jim s wrote:
> I am having the same problem running the spin from
> http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/spins/S390/ that I had
> previously with the current update of 17 Jul.
>
> I tried the hercules snapshots of 2/10, 12/31 and 10/29.  The problem is
> due to an error with diag 224 causing the Fedora 11 kernel to crash, and
> panic when trying to getting ready to run init.  I pull the ivansoft
> snapshots of the above dates.  There was a change to the source on 10/29
> made by Ivan which seemed to be an attempt to fix something in the diag.
>
> I tried 1 and 2 cpus, and when the fedora disk boots up, it has two
> linux kernels, and I tried all combinations in a matrix.
>
> I would be interested if anyone can supply an exact hercules snapshot
> date that builds on the amd64, or x86 platforms, and runs this
> snapshot.  The only thing cited in any reports I have found cite a
> version based on an rpm, which does not trace back to the hercules
> source date pull, or a platform, again which does not track back to the
> hercules source.
>
> To the hercules group, it would be nice if the actual source pull date
> was embedded somewhere and was available by a command, or in the
> banner.  Now that hercules uses SVN, the revision is unique and would
> track to a particular source as well. Currently it shows the build date,
> which is unfortunately the date I pulled and built the source, and does
> not uniquely identify when the source was pulled from SVN.  This
> identifier would more exactly track which source is needed have a
> particular set of symptoms.
>
> An example of the traceback panic info I am seeing is below.  The exact
> numbers may be slightly different, but the hypfs is the same.
> Thanks
> Jim

Hi Jim.

Have you tried it with the stock hercules rpm we have in Fedora 11?
Thats what i've been using and it works perfectly.

Are those call traces from within hercules while trying to boot the image?

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Team Lead Core Services      | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111