Question about asking for help

Harold Grovesteen h.grovsteen at tx.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 11:43:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-30 at 05:06 -0500, Robert Knight wrote:
> anaconda knows or at least something knows
> if this is virtual -- I see it issue DIAG to check. Hmmm.  Maybe that's
> checking for IUCV instead.
>
> Report in a couple of hours when I get back to that point.

DIAGNOSE X'308' is only partially implemented in Hercules.  The "set
parameter" and "store parameter" options are not implemented but return
"OK" as if they were successful.  It uses two Hercules commands to do
this:
 - stopall - stops the CPUS
 - ipl or iplc - using the previous IPL device

I have not personally tested this, so can't attest to how well this
works.  If "set parameter" is being used to change the IPL device,
unpredictable results may occur.

I have looked at the Linux code involved in use of "set parameter" and
"store parameter" and do not believe those would be too difficult to
implement but have not had the time to do so.  I am watching this thread
with interest.

Harold Grovesteen