[Scitech] Experiment with sagemath and Polybori needs to be built

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 01:44:03 UTC 2012

2012/4/26 Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com>:

>>  Jerry, do you think it is reasonably to downngrade and use
>> linbox 1.1.6? Patching should be possible, but not much
>> trivial, quick guess would be to use mpz interfaces for the
>> apparently now deprecated or available elsewhere or other
>> interfaces, integer matrix operations.
>
> Linbox was updated from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7 before I became involved with
> it.  Judging by the changelog, though, the problem is that 1.1.6
> failed to build due to requiring an old version of givaro and 1.1.7
> fixed the build problem:  I became involved when the same problem
> occurred; givaro was updated, and then linbox 1.1.7 failed to build.
> I contacted upstream about the problem, and they suggested moving to
> linbox 1.2.1, which did solve it.  The move to linbox 1.2.2 was
> coordinated with another new release of givaro.
>
> In short, moving backwards in linbox versions will require also moving
> backwards in givaro versions.

[...]

> Hmmm, that puts us in a difficult position.  Fedora is all about being
> on the cutting edge, so moving backwards in versions is ... painful.
> What might be reasonable is to make new packages, linbox11 and
> givaro32, containing linbox 1.1.6 and givaro 3.2.15, respectively, for
> the use of sage.  That way we can keep the newer versions around for
> anybody who might be using them, but still support sage.  What do you
> think?

  Packaging linbox 1.1.6 may be an alternative, but proper approach
should be to get both components to work together. I just attached
two patches to http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12883
The sagemath side patch is
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/12883/sage-4.8-linbox.patch
and the patch for linbox 1.2.2, that would need to be applied to
Fedora linbox package is:
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/12883/linbox-sagemath.patch

  As I stated in the trac, these are not final patches, just a call for
feedback, as, while they most likely are correct, I did only test
that it builds and makes both sides agree on api/abi.

  Now my fedora sagemath package is stuck in lcalc :-)

gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC
-fwrapv -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64
-mtune=generic -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fwrapv -fPIC
-I/home/pcpa/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/sagemath-4.8-0.1.x86_64/usr/share/sagemath/local/include/lcalc/
-I/home/pcpa/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/sagemath-4.8-0.1.x86_64/usr/share/sagemath/local/include
-Ic_lib/include
-I/home/pcpa/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/sagemath-4.8-0.1.x86_64/usr/share/sagemath/devel/sage/sage/ext
-I/usr/include/python2.7 -c sage/libs/lcalc/lcalc_Lfunction.cpp -o
build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/sage/libs/lcalc/lcalc_Lfunction.o -O3
-ffast-math -w
In file included from sage/libs/lcalc/lcalc_Lfunction.cpp:242:0:
sage/libs/lcalc/lcalc_sage.h:1:15: fatal error: L.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

> --
> Jerry James
> http://www.jamezone.org/