[Scitech] Experiment with sagemath and Polybori needs to be built

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Tue May 1 18:54:27 UTC 2012

2012/5/1 Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com>:
> Hi Paulo,

  Hi Jerry,

> Sorry for the silence.  I was sick for a few days, and spent yesterday
> playing catchup at work.  Nevertheless, late in the day yesterday, I

  Hope you are already well now :-)

> updated the Fedora polybori package to install flags.conf and to build
> with NTL support.  The new polybori build should be in today's Rawhide
> compose, and here is the Fedora 17 update:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/polybori-0.8.1-3.fc17

  Ok, I am still figuring out my way with fedora, so, currently still
running Fedora16 plus all updates, but plan to switch to rawhide shortly.
For now I am ok with rebuilding some packages, like polybori, or
already running a newer pari.

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
> <paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Packaging linbox 1.1.6 may be an alternative, but proper approach
>> should be to get both components to work together. I just attached
>> two patches to http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12883
>> The sagemath side patch is
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/12883/sage-4.8-linbox.patch
>> and the patch for linbox 1.2.2, that would need to be applied to
>> Fedora linbox package is:
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/12883/linbox-sagemath.patch
>
> Okay, let's see what the Sage and linbox upstreams have to say about
> your patches.

  Me too also waiting, otherwise, will take me some time to actually
run sagemath in Fedora and debug it myself, as I believe if there
is something wrong with the patch, it was my misunderstanding
of things like arguments in format "A_nr, A_nc, B_nr, B_nc" renamed
to "m, n, k" as the constraint is number of rows of A must match
number of columns of B (for multiplication), or missed some place
where there could be a double dereference or double free as
linbox 1.1.6 did allocate a buffer for every matrix row and
linbox 1.2.2 allocates a single buffer.

>>  As I stated in the trac, these are not final patches, just a call for
>> feedback, as, while they most likely are correct, I did only test
>> that it builds and makes both sides agree on api/abi.
>>
>>  Now my fedora sagemath package is stuck in lcalc :-)
>
> Right, nobody has packaged lcalc for Fedora yet.  I'll say more about
> that in reply to your other email.

  Ok. Once a newer pari is available I will update the lcalc package,
but it is just a matter of applying the pari patch. Could add a
build requires versioned, but not required as if applying the patch
it would not build with an older pari anyway.

> --
> Jerry James
> http://www.jamezone.org/

Thanks,