[Scitech] Sagemath needs a newer pari

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Tue May 1 19:12:25 UTC 2012

2012/5/1 Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
> <paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Ok. Worth mentioning is that in Mandriva I did also package several
>> optional "databases", see:
>>
>> http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/pari/current/SPECS/pari.spec?revision=782755&view=markup
>>
>> and it was already packaging gp2c that comes from an extra upstream
>> tarball.
>
> Okay, once we get the new pari in the distribution, it would be good
> to look at these databases and see what we should have in Fedora.
>
>>  Also, I did build pari with --disable-tls, as I recall having issues with
>> it when building sagemath. Not sure if sage-on-gentoo also had issues
>> with it https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo but I recall some
>> problems they had that looked familiar to me, and I commented in
>> #sagemath about it some months ago.
>
> Hmmm, interesting information.  I'll CC the pari maintainer on this
> email to make him aware of a potential issue there.  Do you have any
> idea if the problem was a bug in pari itself, or in Sage's use of
> pari?

    I think I did it "defensively" when debugging problems in the
sagemath package, as newer pari uses a lot of tls variables, e.g.

$ grep -r __thread .
./src/headers/parisys.h:#  define THREAD __thread

$ grep -r THREAD . | wc -l
84

and it has things like __thread static variables in functions, several
global variables, etc.

  But at least in pari 2.5.1 it is disabled by default.

> --
> Jerry James
> http://www.jamezone.org/

Paulo