Reduced package set for Secondary arches

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 01:15:16 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'd like to ask about using a reduced package set for secondary arch ports of
Fedora.

When this all started, we had laid down the requirements that any package
changes be in Fedora CVS, and the packages would all be built via the Fedora
build tools.  In discussions with Dennis, it seems the current mode of
operation is to require the secondary arch ports to build the full package
set of Fedora (minus Exclude/ExclusiveArch) before being considered a true
secondary arch.

Is this summary accurate?  I can understand some of the reasoning behind it.
However, I find it to be excessive.  Particularly for architectures that
simply would not benefit at all from having cowsay or fortune or even Gnome
built for that architecture.

So I am requesting that we review our package set policy and try to come to
some agreement.

josh