developing a SOP for critical updates (the Fedora Bat Signal)

Eric Christensen sparks at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 21 19:45:23 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 02:19:33 PM Matthew Miller wrote:
> FESCo has asked me to bring this back up, and this seems like the right
> place for it. See https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1278, and the
> very basic outline of a SOP from Paul Frields at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Critical_security_update_SOP.

We've been talking about this [informally] for the past few weeks and I think
what Paul has written up makes a lot of sense.  There are a few pieces that
need to be moved around the board or approved by someone above my paygrade
(you?).

>     coordination (it helps when one person has the "incident lead"
>        baton; can be passed around as needed)

Traditionally this has been Red Hat Product Security.  I say this because they
are the ones that are handling incoming and are notified of a security threat.
The problem with letting Product Security handle coordination is that they
don't really care about Fedora (well, don't care isn't really the correct
words to use but Fedora really doesn't have the proper tooling for doing what
Red Hat does with staging security fixes).

>     communications (drafting and sending community messages; email,
>        web, social media)

Does Fedora have a PIO?

>     package fixing (ideally package maintainer is security expert,
>        second best is package maintainer + security expert, third is
> security expert with provenpackager privileges or assistance from someone
> who has them, or last resort, provenpackager alone)

We have a couple of provenpackagers on our team.  I suspect we'd be able to
pull someone in from the "civilian" side to help as needed.

>     quality assurance (again, ideally someone with security expertise
>        to advise and coordinate, but fast widespread testing at all levels
>        helps)

This is another piece of the puzzle.  We'd need to be able to pull in someone
from QA to verify the fixes.

>     release engineering (lots of work getting an update out as an
>        exception to normal flow)

This is why I, and others, have argued for a separate channel in which to send
out high-priority security fixes.  We shouldn't have to run around finding the
correct person to do a special push.  We should be able to dump them into the
security channel and make it available sooner.

>  and the ability to get at least one person in each role out of bed in
>  the event of an emergency.

Or qualified folks around the globe.

> I expect that in many cases, there are also roles like "communication
> with $otherproject security team", and possible handoff from whereever
> we learned about the vulnerability.

I suspect in all cases as there will likely be few issues that affect
Fedora/EPEL that doesn't affect RHEL.

> Security Team, are you interested in helping develop this procedure
> (and putting it somewhere so we know what to do in a fire drill)?

Yep.

--Eric