Machine compromised

bhiksha bhiksha at merl.com
Wed Dec 20 07:03:55 UTC 2006

A-ha!

It appears that the user "backup" was created on the day I actually
installed FC5 on my box (back on September 4), and the user who
created the account was root, who logged in from an adjacent windows
box, which, presumably, was compromised on that date (its protected
with Norton AV, so I expect this happened before liveupdate got the
fix for that particular bug..).

The PC that the hacker logged in from belongs to my wife who was
logged in at that time.
Interestingly, whoever had also tried using her userid (on the PC)
on my linux box, although she didnt have an account on it till more than
a month later!

I  sshed into the linux box from her machine for something or the other,
and they probably read the keystrokes  (my linux box had no monitor
initially, and after borrowing my wife's monitor for the initial install I
returned it to her and simply sshed in from her machine to mess around).
I confess I was somewhat sloppy during the installation since the machine
was not directly conntected to the net directly (it was however connected
to a linksys box that the windows box was also connected to. Portforwarding
was turned off and I felt unwisely safe).
I changed the root password immediately after installation, before
forwarding
port 22 to it; this might explain why the subsequent dictionary attacks on
root failed.

It appears the hacker also attempted a few dictionary attacks on that
day for other userids, but did not succed.

Trust a windows box (and a careless user) to be at the bottom of it all
eventually :-)

I do have a new monitor, so my reinstallation should be safe :-)

-Bhiksha