password Migration

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Sun Dec 31 18:37:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:02:34 -0800 (PST)
Mohsen Basirat <mohsen_basirat at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear all
> I have debian machine with more than 3000 users and i
> have to change it to fedora core 4 machine

Note that Fedora Core 4 is no longer maintained for security updates
and the like. Perhaps you should move to Fedora Core 6?

> and migrate
> username and password .i used MD5 password in both
> system but the password hash generated in fedora is
> different from debian and i dont know why? please
> advise me with your comments

Different in what way? I think they should both be using the same
md5 setup from the shadow-utils package, so they should be compatible.
They might look different if you re-encrypt the password as they will
use different salt values and so forth, but they should work I would
think.

> Regards
>
> Mohsen basirat
> www.basirat.com