About zhcon setuid issue.

Josh Bressers bressers at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 11:55:03 UTC 2007

> The zhcon package was added to FC6 and FC7 extra recently. But there is
> a issue of it that we may need to notice.
>
> Because it need to access /dev/fb0 and so on, it need the setuid
> permission, so normal users can use it too. This bring the security
> risk. But for users' convenience, I didn't remove this setuid
> permission.
> It is still better don't install zhcon by default. Let's user install it
> manually.
>
> Maybe we can use ACL to controll this?

Shouldn't pam set the framebuffer owner to the current console user?  When
I look at the /dev/fb0 permissions on my system I see this:

% ls -l /dev/fb0
crw------- 1 bress root 29, 0 Apr  3 07:53 /dev/fb0

There should be no need to give zhcon the setuid bit as I already have the
permissions I need.

--
    JB