Crypto consolidation: user interface / PSM

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Jan 30 04:41:39 UTC 2010

Having fought with SSL certificate configuration in various
applications, I'm eagerly awaiting the completion of the crypto
consolidation project [1].  However, the focus currently appears to be
on consolidating the low-level cryptographic operations in NSS.  IMO,
that only solves half the problem, and an equal amount of emphasis needs
to be placed on the user interface consolidation.

A common user interface package hasn't been chosen yet.  I would like to
suggest Mozilla PSM as a starting point since it is mature and gets a
lot of attention from security and usability experts.  I imagine PSM
does pretty much everything needed for X.509 certificates.
Functionality currently in seahorse for the GNOME keyring, PGP keys and
SSH keys may need to be added.  Thoughts?

--
Matt