Fedora 16 graphical login does not require a password

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Mon Jun 25 20:41:55 UTC 2012

On 25/06/12 21:06, John Cockerham wrote:
> Hello,
> I am not sure which list to post this question, but it sure seemed to be
> a security issue to me.  I have a laptop with Fedora 16-x86_64bit
> installed.  One day last week I noticed that I was not required to enter
> a password to log in from the graphical screen.  This is true with all
> users and when using both Gnome and KDE desktops.  I have searched
> everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find a artical describing
> this issue.  I have verified that auto-login has not been configured in
> either Gnome or KDE.   Strangely enough, if the screen saver kicks in I
> have to enter a password to unlock it and if I switch to a textual
> session (Alt-F2 for example) I have to enter both username and password
> to login.
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to re-enable the need to provide a password
> or where I should begin to look for the problem?
>
> tks
>

> --
John,

as we released Fedora 16 over 6 months ago, I will for now assume that
this is not a security issue, but a misconfiguration. Could you please
either email the Fedora support list, or join irc on freenode's #fedora
channel ? Should you then discover that this indeed is a security issue,
be it either the way we configured it, or a coding issue, please file a
security bug on bugzilla.redhat.com.

At this stage I find this unlikely though, but never say never. ;-)

Please be patient with some #fedora helpers, they can be quite abrasive.

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org