F18 Network Manager VPN technology question

Péter Sólyom-Nagy snagypeter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 22:11:25 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I need some technical explanation about VPN in F18.
(F18, KDE environment)

Please tell me, what happens if I import a PCF file on the Network Manager
UI?
My PCF file refers to a Cisco VPN using group password.
- Is the group password accessible during the import (of course it is
otherwise it's useless...)
- How it is decrpyted?
- Which programs are involved? (Is any of them so called unsafe?)
- Where're the passwords stored? (Probably in KWallet)
- Are the VPN passwords "clear-text" accessible somewhere?

I need to prove that using this PCF file is secure on F18 too. The PCF file
is originating from Windows environment. The publishing company uses
official Cisco client.

I know that there are tons of sites and apps to decrypt the password, but I
need to prove that the basic Fedora installation is secure.

Do you need more information? Please ask me!

Thanks in advance,

*Peter SOLYOM-NAGY*