Fwd: Fedora security vs Debian

Isaac Cortés González w.isaac.cortes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 23:34:45 UTC 2014

> On 10/31/2014 02:43 PM, max.lulu.07 at t-online.de wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I'm using the Fedora distro for my desktop since a while. But now I want
>> to setup a web server. For me it doesn’t make much sense to setup Fedora as
>> a productive server system because this would need too much attention for
>> all the updates (that’s a point I really love for the desktop!). Another
>> thing that is very cool (or the main reason why I’ve chosen Fedora as my
>> primary system) is it’s great focus on security (let’s think of the
>> implementation of SELinux). Now my question is: How is the Debian security
>> compared to the security of Fedora? They don’t have SELinux, ok.
>>
>> The reason why I want to use Debian is, because a RHEL subscription is too
>> expensive for a home server and the CentOS project… Well sometimes (not in
>> general) they are a bit slow in providing security updates.
>>
>> So is Debian as secure as Fedora?
>> Thanks for all upcoming replies!

You may want to install the yum-cron-security package, so you'll not
to worry about keep updating the system and to break something (since
it is a service that only installs automatically security updates). I
don't know if this plugin will be available to dnf (the yum's
replacement); but I think that yum will be in the repos for a while
(the enough time to somebody writes a replacement or equivalent for
dnf).

And in the "vs" section, security will be a little bit blurry the
score... The policies of updates are very different between one to
another, and the policies of what package is in and which not. You
already know (I guess) that Fedora is very quick to push some updates
to its repos (without being a rolling release distro, though); but I
think that with that plugin you'll have a very stable version of
Fedora, and I can't imagine a security update that it breaks the
system, not even in Fedora (assume the urban legend that it says
Fedora is buggy and unstable is true, as hypothesis of course). Happy
hacking.

        -Isaac C.