About sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

P J P pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Tue Nov 25 13:07:31 UTC 2014

   Hello Tristan,

> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 4:15 PM, Tristan Santore wrote
> Are we talking here physical releases ? Or just infra or just best
> advice for people ? I fear that if we do disable SSH root logins, this
> will make some people's lives a lot harder. But could somebody please be
> so kind to clarify what exactly we are considering here ?

  I thought the feature page explains it. Anyway, idea is to prevent remote
users from using 'root' account to login via ssh(1).

   $ ssh root at 1.2.3.4

Instead, they would need to first login as non-root user and then use sudo(8)
or su(1) commands to gain root access.

If you could share the difficulties it would add to some people's lives, we could try to find remedies.

---
Regards
   -Prasad
http://feedmug.com