Anaconda 22.17+ enforces "good" passwords

Hubert Kario hkario at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 12:46:17 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 13:08:46 Tomas Mraz wrote:

> > > AFAICT a good rate limiting / denyhosts-like blacklist would make the
> > > higher password quality requirement mostly unnecessary.  With rate
> > > limiting, strong password quality (beyond the “not obviously stupid”
> > > level of password quality) only matters against off-line attacks.  (The
> > > off-line attacks scenario includes encryption passwords, without
> > > well-deployed TPM use at least, so it is still a problem that needs
> > > solving, OTOH.) Mirek>
> > rate limiting and denyhosts have no impact what so ever when the attacker
> > has a botnet to his disposal
>
> Large botnet means that the attack is targeted. I do not think we can
> prevent targeted attack against weak password in the default
> configuration. What we should aim at is prevention of non-targeted
> attacks such as attacks you can see when you open ssh port on a public
> IP almost immediately. These attacks usually come from single IP
> address.

Not necessarily, I've seen both - where an IP did try just 2 or 3
password/user combinations and ones that did try dozens.

Having access to botnet is not uncommon or expensive, making it possible for
"bored student" kind of targeted attacks. You can do low level of such an
attack with just EC2.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have rate limiting, but it shouldn't be the
only thing above simple dictionary check.
--
Regards,
Hubert Kario