Anaconda 22.17+ enforces "good" passwords

Hubert Kario hkario at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 15:59:57 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 08:53:04 Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Not necessarily, I've seen both - where an IP did try just 2 or 3
> >> password/user combinations and ones that did try dozens.
> >>
> >> Having access to botnet is not uncommon or expensive, making it possible
> >> for
> >> "bored student" kind of targeted attacks. You can do low level of such an
> >> attack with just EC2.
> >>
> >> I'm not saying that we shouldn't have rate limiting, but it shouldn't be
> >> the
> >> only thing above simple dictionary check.
> >
> > That matches what I am seeing with a couple of random servers I have out
> > there. The number of attacks where IP address one is doing
> >
> > apple:apple
> > apple:123456
> > apple:trustn01
> > apple:...
> > bob:bob
> > bob:123456
> > bob:trustn01
> > bob:password
>
> Half of these will be allowed with the current installer behavior:
> # pwscore
> apple:123456
> 55
> # pwscore
> apple:trustn01
> 84
> # pwscore
> bob:trustn01
> 55
> # pwscore
> bob:password
> 58

I think that Stephen meant:
for user name 'apple' the attacker tries 'apple', '123456', 'trustn01', etc.
for user name 'bob'...

But yes, 'trustn01' is accepted, with score of 1

though if trustn01 is really a third password tested it's rather surprising,
it is on 83823 position (tied with 3493 other passwords) in the RockYou list
--
Regards,
Hubert Kario