Anaconda 22.17+ enforces "good" passwords

Hubert Kario hkario at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 13:32:06 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 09:24:36 Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Hubert Kario <hkario at redhat.com> wrote:
> > thing is, that even if it just comes up once that means that the attackers
> > either use full publicly available word lists or not entirely trivial
> > password modification rules ("trustno1" is on 1001th position in RockYou
> > list)
> >
> > either means that a simple dictionary check won't protect against such
> > opportunistic attackers
> >
> > note to self: get password list from honeypots
>
> In the UI for setting a password, how does the guideline read for such
> enforcement?
>
> "Your password must contain at least 8 characters and must contain at
> least one letter and one numeric or punctuation character" is
> obviously not going to work.

I would consider the following to be good interaction:

For a password like: Troubadour1&

"""
Your password failed a complexity check, estimated entropy: 17 bits, password
pattern detected: dictionary word with simple modifications (capitalise,
suffix-1, suffix-symbol). This system requires passwords with at least 20 bits
of entropy.

Please try a different password.

If nobody else is looking at your screen, you can use one of the following
random passwords:
red mist
second wanted degree
however ready respect using
"""

And then when the user enters the "red mist" password, I'd expect it to say:

"""
Estimated password entropy: 20 bits. Low complexity, acceptable.
"""
Possibly with a tooltip that says "Password pattern detected: 2 random
dictionary words"

(switch "entropy" with "score" if we want to be user-friendly and not scare
users with technicalities)

So not only say "your password is bad", but also say _why_ it is bad and
provide ready to use passwords that will match the requirement.
--
Regards,
Hubert Kario