How to properly upgrade policy

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jun 28 19:58:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:43:32 +1000, Russell Coker said:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 02:44, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > Right now, *my* single biggest mangler of contexts is all the local and
> > 3rd-party stuff that gets into system directories via 'make install' rather
> > than via RPM (so far this morning, I've already had one package that I did
> > a 'cvs update' and then 'make/make install', and since it supports plugins,
> > the following clean-up relabeled about 30 *.so files to shlib_t....
>
> Why not just build RPMs of all your third-party stuff?

Laziness, mostly.  There's a few CVS trees that I follow that are fast-moving
targets. It's easier to just have a 2-line shell script that does a 'make
install' and a 'setfiles ../file-contexts /usr/local' than to create a .spec
file and keep it up to date and get rpmbuild and cvs to play nice for a CVS
tree that you're syncing to more than twice a week... ;)