ntp.... was Re: Fresh rawhide install / AVC messages

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 17:54:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:20:40PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

> > This is standard behavior on RHL8.0 and above if the DHCP server sends the
> > 'time-server' options. I don't know off hand if it is RH specific or stock
> > dhclient.
>
> Regardless of whether it's RH specific or standard dhclient it's something
> that has to be supported.
>
> > > The problem we face is that the dhcp client as a standard function will
> > > replace /etc/resolv.conf.  The /etc/resolv.conf file is given the type
> > > resolv_conf_t because so many programs want to re-write it.
> > >
> > > Now we can give the ntpd config file the same type.  But in that case we
> > > will probably want to rename it to net_conf_t or something.
> net_conf_t doesn't seem ideal to me, but I can't think of anything better at
> the moment.

I am almost confused by dhcp...

How does /etc/ntp.conf differ from /etc/adjtime /bin/date,
adjtime(system call) in this discussion.  All interact with the time
of day.

I might trust my dhcp server to give me an IP address but do I also
want it to set the time of day.  Then what else do I trust it to do?
How do I manage the list of things that dhcp might update?

For example if I have a well crafted /etc/ntp.conf file will that file
be lost if I move to a different DHCP served net.

If I look at /usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0pl2/dhcpd.conf.sample dhcp can set
a list of common things.  Some are important, not all involve files
that trigger audit.
        option nis-domain               "domain.org";
        option domain-name              "domain.org";
        option domain-name-servers      192.168.1.1;
        option time-offset              -18000; # Eastern Standard Time
        option ntp-servers              192.168.1.1;
        option netbios-name-servers     192.168.1.1;

See man 5  dhcpd-options for more options.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l