[policy-1.9-5] VNC module in X AVC

Aleksey Nogin aleksey at nogin.org
Mon Mar 22 20:28:40 UTC 2004

On 22.03.2004 08:27, Adam Gibson wrote:

> As a heavy user of the vnc.o module, I just want to make sure everyone
> understand the benefit of using the vnc.o X module by adding the info to
> XF86Config compared to using Xvnc.  The vnc.o module automatically
> exports the default local display :0 that users see on their local
> monitor.

Yes, and what this allows is for people to run their normal X session
without any additional overhead (as opposed to running an Xvnc and
vncviewer locally, which is much slower), but still be able to access
that session remotely when necessary.

> Note: I also had to create the /root/.vnc/passwd using
> /usr/bin/vncpasswd.  I have not figured out a way to have a separate
> password depending on who logs in locally.  It is one password for the
> local display regardless of who is logged in.  For single user systems
> this works fine.

Have you tried adding an appropriate vncconfig call to the {d,k,x}dm
"start session" script?

On 22.03.2004 10:45, Adam Gibson wrote:

> Probably getting a little off subject, but just a note that the Option
> "LocalHost" makes it only listen on the loopback address(I use port
> forwarding with SSH so that the connection is encrypted remotely).
>
>>From remote system:
> ssh -L 24000:127.0.0.1:5999 user at RemoteSshHost
>
>>From remote system:
> vncviewer :24000

BTW, the above two commands could be replace with "vncviewer -via
RemoteSshHost :0" (if you used the default 5900 rfbport, instead of
setting it to 5999).

--
Aleksey Nogin

Home Page: http://nogin.org/
E-Mail: nogin at cs.caltech.edu (office), aleksey at nogin.org (personal)
Office: Jorgensen 70, tel: (626) 395-2907