SELinux Testing Software/Scripts

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 14:55:09 UTC 2004

Hi,

This is kind of a difficult question to answer. First, do you want to verify the
rules for a given daemon/user/resource are enforced? Or do you want to verify
that the rules, as given, are correct?

If you want to verify enforcement, I think the way to go for a definitive test is
to write a brute force suite that tries all enforced system calls/access all
resources, etc and catalogs the ones that succeeds and then compares with the
rules. I have seen brute forcers for Linux capabilities and I'm sure people
interested in probing SE Linux for weakness will try the exact same thing.

As for verifying the rules are correct, that's more difficult. I'm sure it will
involve compiling sources & libraries statically (or resolving all library
function calls), using nm to pick out system calls. Access of resources might be
trickier if it builds the name dynamically or takes it from the command line. I'm
sure there's more to it than this.

Both of the above are issues that I am interested in figuring out. These tools
may already exist, too. I haven't really looked.

-Steve Grubb