hald - r/w access to /dev/usb/lp0?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Sep 25 19:34:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 04:27, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> When haldaemon starts, and typically just after the text 'login:'
> appears but before the graphical stuff takes over, I get:
>
> Sep 25 10:28:57 fedora kernel: audit(1096133337.944:0): avc:  denied
> { read write } for  pid=3187 exe=/usr/sbin/hald name=lp0 dev=tmpfs
> ino=5073 scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:printer_device_t tclass=chr_file
>
> referring to /dev/usb/lp0.
>
> Does hald need read/write access to the printer_device?

Does hald need it right now?  Probably, but I'm not sure.

Will it need such access in the future to perform the tasks that it is
designed for?  Definitely!  There is a lot of variation among printer
hardware and hald is the correct program to inform you of what type of
printer you have just connected.  I've attached a patch to add the access.