Whooops - A new kernel problem

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Tue Apr 12 01:56:23 UTC 2005

Hey, FYI the latest and greatest kernel,

    FC3-2.6.11-1.14_FC3, for the i386 kernels broke several
things (for me at least on a Dell Inspiron 2600)....

[I am -not- seeing the same problems on the X86_64 version for an Athlon 3500+]

   I might suggest NOT running update for now.... YMMV.

One such entry:
Apr 11 19:22:47 OCIDell audit: Installing Audit Module:
Apr 11 19:22:47 OCIDell audit: insmod: can't read 'auditmodule': No such file or directory
Apr 11 19:22:47 OCIDell audit:
Apr 11 19:22:47 OCIDell audit: Starting /usr/sbin/auditd:
Apr 11 19:22:47 OCIDell audit: SNARE audit daemon: I cannot connect to the audit module via the file
/proc/audit. Audit module not yet loaded?
Apr 11 19:22:47 OCIDell audit: Try installing the audit module using: insmod auditmodule: No such file
or directory

   However rebooting on the Prior kernel, 2.6.10-1.770_FC3, (i386) returns everything
to normal, i.e. audit works.

   Secondly, this kernel wacked the wireless subsystem, in some fashion.

   Old Kernel,  "iwlist wlan0 scan"  works fine, blowing the ESSID it see's.
under the new kernel it gives me:

    "wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning."

  Boot back on the old kernel, it is just working fine, including the wireless scan.

   I can neither confirm of deny the wireless on the X86_64,
as I don't have it installed.

     But, I can confirm I am *not* seeing the "audit" problem with x86_64,
and I am with the i386.

    And, the wireless, a nDis Driver, is failing miserably under
the new kernel as well, but boot on the old one, and both
these issues go away.

  So, Heads Up. It is recreatable.