Adding Raid 5 partition

stuart stuart at jamesnet.ca
Sun Apr 24 14:17:10 UTC 2005

stuart wrote:

> Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>
>>On 4/23/05, stuart <stuart at jamesnet.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>I have added 3 extra disks to my system, which i have created a new
>>>raid5 device on /dev/md0.  I wish to use this device to serve webpages,
>>>but when i change the document root directive in my httpd.conf, and
>>>restart the httpd server, i get the error that this directory does not
>>>exist. I have properly labeled md0 with "e2label" command and added the
>>>approriate stanza in my "/etc/fstab" to mount the directory
>>>automatically on boot. I have Selinux running on targeted policy and i
>>>have attempted to use "fixfiles" and "restorecon" so that Selinux
>>>recoginizes it.. But i am yet to have success. I have also tried just
>>>using a normal ext3 partition, that i created after installation, and i
>>>get the same error.
>>>

>>/dev/md0 is a metadevice that describes a raid5 disk volume, it's not
>>a directory.  While I'm not clear on what exactly you're doing from
>>your post, I have a sneaking suspicion that you've not mounted the
>>device anywhere.  What I believe you want to do is something akin to
>>the following:
>>
>># mkfs -t ext3 /dev/md0
>># mount -t ext3 /mnt
>># service stop httpd
>># cp -a /var/www/html/* /mnt
>># rm -rf /var/www/html/*
>># umount /mnt
>># mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /var/www/html
>># restorecon -R -v /var/www/html
>># service httpd start
>>
>>This creates an extended 3 filesystem on the new raid device, mounts
>>it in a temporary location, copies your existing web content to it,
>>removes the web content from the old location, and the replaces it
>>with the new raid device.  The restorecon is self-explanitory as are
>>the service commands.
>>
>>If this isn't the issue, can you please give some more detail on the
>>problem you're experiencing?
>>

> Hey Chris thanks for the help, that is essentialy what i had done, the
> directory was mounted, but i had mounted it on a new partition
> directory named "/www" and then had changed my
> "/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf"  to reflect the new document root
> settings, i ran the "restorecon -R -v /www" and then reloaded the
> HTTPD server, the error i received was that none of my new directory
> structure existed. I then tried as you posted,  to mount my new MD0
> device in its the position "/var/www" , "mount -t ext3 /dev/md0
> /var/www" and ran "restorecon -R -v /var/www"  this seems to work as
> Apache loaded fine, where as me labeling  "/dev/md0" as "/www" and
> running "restorecon -R -v /www" didn't seem work for me. I know by
> default of course Apache has its core directory stored in "/var/www"

I have since found another directive in my "httpd.conf" that i had
overlooked, the directive "<Directory "/var/www/html">" which i found i
needed to also set to "/www/html". Once i changed this, all was well
with either mounting my new "md0" in "/www" or "/var/www" with the
approriate changes in "httpd.conf"

--
RHCE - RHEL4
CERT# 804005316914471