Adding two new booleans to httpd to tighten it's security.

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Sat Dec 10 17:54:09 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Nicklas Norling wrote:
>
>> Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>>

>>> Currently policy allows httpd to connect to relay ports and to
>>> mysql/postgres ports.
>>>
>>> Adding these booleans
>>>    * httpd_can_network_relay
>>>    * httpd_can_network_connect_db
>>>
>>> And turning this feature off by default.  This is going into tonights
>>> reference policy and into FC4 test release.
>>> If we had these turned off we would have prevented the last apache
>>> worm virus.
>>>

> I'd really appreciate if more effort was expanded in fixing existing
> AVCs rather than adding new blocking rules.

Which avc's are you talking about.  We have been working hard to fix all
avc's when we can.
> The current ruleset is already strong enough a lot of people just turn
> off selinux, perfect security isn't much use if no one enables it.

Most people turned off firewall support in the beginning also.  These
rules should not effect 90 % of apache SELinux users
and will further secure those same users.
> I'd rather aim for imperfect security some users actually use.

We are trying to work to a happy medium of security with as little pain
as possible.