(OT) LVM and mount (was SELinux: home dir is symlink, httpd from files in home dir)

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Thu Jan 20 08:04:19 UTC 2005

G'day,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:56:16PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 14:44 +1100, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>
> > I have a 512 gigabyte 3ware raid partition, and am using it for many
> > different purposes, and had used symlinks to access it.  I'm changing
> > it to mount as you sensibly suggest.
>
> You could use LVM to pool your local disk containing / and the raid
> partition containing /opt; this makes the fact that the files are on
> different stores transparent to applications and removes the need for
> symlinks or bind mounts, and in general is a lot nicer to manage.

Yes, I used LVM for many years, but found that the performance of the
virtual disks was quite a lot lower than the physical ones (using
hdparm -t and other measures).  That has probably changed by now; I
was using LVM 1.

> > That's a wonderful idea!  The mount man page indicates that I can use
> >
> > mount --move /opt/nicku /home/nicku
>
> Ah, it's unclear to me exactly what --move is supposed to do; the
> example doesn't work for me.

No, it didn't work for me either.  I used bind mounts, which do the
job just nicely.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE       http://nicku.org          nicku(at)nicku.org
Proud ex-member of Dept. of Information & Communications Technology in