Abnormal Apache behavior.

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 13:15:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:47:15PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 02:43 +0200, Stefan Held wrote:
> > Then i restarted the Server with apachectl stop and apachectl start.
> > From now on everything worked fine and like expected.
>
> The reason I believe is because apachectl restarts the Apache httpd
> daemon on its own.  The way the Fedora targeted policy works for daemons
> is that they are only confined when executed via the /etc/init.d/*
> scripts, so when apachectl executes httpd it stays in unconfined_t.

Eh?  I thought the transition happens upon exec of httpd regardless of
who performs the exec.  Empirical evidence suggests that's the case
anyway...

[root at tango ~]# service httpd stop
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at tango ~]# apachectl start
[root at tango ~]# ps axZ | grep httpd
root:system_r:httpd_t           30536 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/httpd -k start

joe