more latest selinux policy change problems

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 19:29:48 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:33:48AM -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:
> > Suggestion: Functional changes that can break existing installs
> > shouldn't be provided as normal updates... they should be included in
> > the next OS version. Otherwise, if the update policy is perceived to
> > put running servers at risk, it won't be long before the community
> > stops taking Fedora seriously.
>
> That isn't the goal of Fedora, though.  Updates are specifically NOT
> backported to older trees.  Instead, you get the update for the latest
> OS release, rebuilt for the older releases.

Thanks for the clarification. Could you refer me to the place where
this policy is stated? The only reference I can find that might allude
to it is item 3 on this page:

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html

Woudn't it be better to simply stop pushing SELinux updates to older
versions rather then continuing to apply new and possibliy
incompatible features of the newer release?

> If you want a more stable
> tree with backported fixes, then use RHEL.

We can't afford RHEL. If updating installed Fedoras is going to cause
them to become unstable after a new version release, we'll have no
choice but to migrate to another OS.

Best regards,

-Tom