selinux and udev ?

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Nov 29 17:04:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:51 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> Random thought:  As udev only manages devices, why not run file_contexts
> through a filter to extract /dev entries at policy build time, saving
> the result as a file_contexts.dev file, and have udev use
> matchpathcon_init() to select that file for its matching.  That would
> then avoid having to process the entire file contexts configuration for
> udev.

An unscientific experiment, with a slightly modified matchpathcon util
that lets me specify the file_contexts path:

$ grep '^/dev' file_contexts > file_contexts.dev
$ time ./matchpathcon -f file_contexts.dev /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0      system_u:object_r:tty_device_t

real    0m0.023s
user    0m0.012s
sys     0m0.008s
$ time ./matchpathcon -f file_contexts /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0      system_u:object_r:tty_device_t

real    0m0.216s
user    0m0.152s
sys     0m0.064s

Quite the difference, no?