Packaging hotfixes

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Apr 3 18:36:51 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to have policy enhancements per packages? I'm asking
> this because both fedora's and upstream handling of new selinux rules
> works great, still the upgraded selinux-policy packages need some time
> to hit the users and while they wait for their nvidia, avidemux,
> whatever fix, they always seem to need it instantaneously and prefer
> to turn off selinx altogether instead of waiting for a fix.
>
> If there is a way to locally add rules from packages, then the
> problematic app foo could carry an selinux snippet with itself and
> install it until the policy package catches up.
>
> Or would such a mechanism allow any package to overthrow selinux
> altogether thus making this more of a security risk than a feature?

modular policy allows for customization to local policy.  You can look
at policy generated by audit2allow -M  to see this.  Most of the
problems you are talking about are from libraries requesting more privs
then they require execmod.  You can change the file context on those
files to tell selinux to allow the access.   chcon -t textrel_shlib_t
LIBRARY

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/selinux-mem.html

Explains the risks of the exec* accesses.

Any time you see this, it should be reported as a problem with SELinux
policy but also reported back to the package maintainer, as they might
have a problem with their library.

Dan