securing home directories and using public_html

Steve Strong strong.s at crwash.org
Tue Apr 25 20:04:58 UTC 2006

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I'm a newbie!
Maybe there's an archive I can search...

I run a lab of fedora 5 clients and a RHEL 4.0 server (that means that
the version of SELinux running on the server is the same as the version
running on fedora core 3, right?) in a high school CS department.  I'm
teaching a unit on web programming using php and mysql.  I've given
students a world-readable public_html directory and a database, user and
password.  All works well until I notice students copying code from each
other's public_html directories.

Is there a way to allow httpd to access these directories and not allow
users to get to them from their console?

thanks in advance!
steve

--
Steve Strong