MCS article

James Carter jwcart2 at epoch.ncsc.mil
Fri Jan 20 13:53:56 UTC 2006

The SELinux NFS code was never submitted upstream since NFSv4 was coming
and it wouldn't make sense to have v3 support SELinux, but not v4.  It
also seemed like it would be easier to get upstream support with NFSv4
using named attributes to pass file contexts and a SELinux specific
rpcsec_gss security flavor to pass the client process's context then
with NFSv3 using non-standard extensions.

The NFSv4 named attributes are still not implemented on Linux although
there has been talk about them over the last month on the NFSv4 mailing
list.  Support is just being added to allow specifying a security flavor
for each export.

If you are interested, here is the talk I gave at last year's SELinux
Symposium:
http://www.selinux-symposium.org/2005/presentations/session2/2-4-carter.pdf

The NFSv3 code (for 2.6.11) is still available in the historical section
of the download page:
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/code/download1.cfm

Jim

--