Freeciv 2.0.8

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Aug 13 16:19:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 11:37:58 -0400,
  Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Would SELinux interfere with Freeciv?
>
> Freeciv works in single-player mode primarily by starting its own server
> process and connecting to it. But when I try to start a Freeciv client,
> I get this message:

In theory it could, but it seems unlikely that targeted policy would
interfere when you are starting it from the desktop.

> >Starting server...
> >Couldn't connect to the server.
> >We probably couldn't start it from here.
> >You'll have to start one manually. Sorry....

What do your logs say?
You can see if there were any AVC denials from selinux. Also, freeciv
might have its own logging that could tell you more about what is going
wrong.
Firewall logs most likely end up in /var/log/messages and would be good to
check as well.

> Then when I /do/ try to start a Freeciv server manually, and load a
> game, I can't connect. When I try to use Freeciv's client to "connect to
> a network game"--well, I see a few games out on the Internet, but /none/
> in my "Local Area Network."

This makes me think that firewall rules are a possible culprit.