Fedora buildsys and SELinux

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Apr 24 16:58:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 12:38 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 11:55 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:

> > > I assume you mean setting down unknown file labels rather than
> > > per-namespace or per-chroot policy support.  I think they are related
> > > but different.  The former is required if you always plan to install the
> > > files _before_ loading the policy.  The latter is required primarily for
> > > getting any scriptlets to run in the right security contexts so that any
> > > files they create are labeled appropriately within the chroot.
> >
> > BTW, for reference, a patch to support setting down unknown file labels
> > was posted here a couple of years ago:
> > http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=114771094617968&w=2
>
> And the last version of that patch was:
> http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=114840466518263&w=2
> Not that it applies cleanly anymore, of course.

Note for anyone trying to revive that patch:  please be sure to
introduce a new security class for that permission instead of adding it
to the security class as I did in that patch, so that we can be certain
that this new ability won't be allowed to unconfined domains by default.
We do not want unconfined_t user shells to be able to set arbitrary
label values w/o no warning that it wasn't valid; we want to limit this
to specific programs like rpm that will be aware of the implications and
(hopefully) do some validity checking of their own afterward.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency