Fedora buildsys and SELinux

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue May 6 17:56:54 UTC 2008

Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 10:07 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:

>>> We need to better understand the sequence of actions performed by rpm,
>>> both from outside the chroot and from within the chroot, to know
>>> precisely what is needed here.
>>>
>>> It would be cleaner if we could just disable policy reload altogether.
>>> libsemanage will skip policy reload if:
>>> 1) the caller asked to skip reload (e.g. semodule with the -n option) or
>>> 2) the caller asked to operate on a policy store other than the active
>>> policy store (e.g. semodule with the -s option), or
>>> 3) SELinux appears to be disabled.
>>>
>>> We can fake the last one, but I think that will confuse rpm with respect
>>> to other actions we still want it to take, like labeling the files,
>>> transitioning to a scriptlet domain, etc.
>> In this case is scriptlet transition really important?  What is to be
>> gained?  Its not like we are getting file transitions...
>
> IIRC, failure to transition to rpm_script_t has caused problems in the
> past, either with denials or subsequent domain transitions or subsequent
> file transitions.
>
> If we could ensure that rpm and forked children prior to exec continue
> to see SELinux as enabled while faking selinux-disabled status when
> running semodule and semanage, then that might work.
>
> As a reminder, is_selinux_enabled() returns 1 if:
> 1) selinuxfs was found mounted on /selinux at startup, or
> 2) selinuxfs was found in /proc/mounts (mounted elsewhere) at startup,
> or
> 3) selinuxfs is found in /proc/filesystems,
>
> Thus, merely failing to mount selinuxfs within the chroot does not yield
> selinux-disabled status.  You'd have to also not mount /proc.  Or
> override is_selinux_enabled() in your own shared object.
>
>>> On the context validation/canonicalization, it would be cleaner if we
>>> could have rpm validate and canonicalize against the target image's
>>> policy rather than the build host's policy.  This is likely doable, as
>>> setfiles has to do something like this for its -c option when validating
>>> a file contexts configuration against a policy at policy build time.
>>> Requires calling a libselinux interface to register an alternative
>>> validate callback.
>> This sounds like a great idea, but is clearly going to take work from
>> the RPM people....
I think a lot of this is experimental.  The easiest thing would to first
get livecd creation to work.  Once we have a workable solution there we
could probably extend it to Mock and other parts of the Fedora
Infrastructure.

Offhand we need to handle calls made by semodule, restorecon/setfiles,
potential problems with udev, rpmscript execution.