Generating policies for Nagios on Fedora9 - difficulties

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 6 12:09:45 UTC 2008

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have compiled Nagios 3.05 on Fedora9 (all updates current) and now try
> to get it running together with SELinux.
>
> I have piped the AVC denials from audit.log to audit2allow and generated
> policies which I loaded using "semodule -i POLNAME.pp".
>
> Now I have the weird state that:
> - Nagios still cannot check postfix' mailqueue with check_mailq
> - Nagios still cannot write emails to the mailqueue
> but there is no AVC denials any more in audit.log and Nagios stopped
> logging to syslog (although it still works as seen on the web pages).
> There is also no SETroubleshoot messages in /var/log/messages any more.
>
> Setting "setenforce 0" makes Nagios run smoothly, so the problem is
> still related SELinux somehow, but since nothing shows up in the logs
> any more it is quite difficult to troubleshoot.
>
> Logging in general does work, e. g. I can find a "Error code 69 returned
> from /usr/bin/mailq" in /var/log/maillog every time Nagios runs the
> mailq check. Changing the setenforce value leads to an entry in
> audit.log, so even auditd logging partially works.
>
> I have even restarted rsyslog with no effect.
>
> How do I find out why SELinux is not logging completely any more?
>
> And by the way: I also had the phenomenon that auditd claimed lots of
> denials of ping while Nagios did not have any difficulty pinging - that
> does not look very trustworthy on the part of SELinux, does it?
>
> Any hint or help is appreciated.

The SELinux denials that you're hitting now are probably dontaudit-ed in
pollcy. You can turn off the dontaudit rules using:

# semodule -BD

and turn them back on using:

# semodule -B

Be careful with policy generated from audit logs with dontaudit rules
turned off to ensure that what you're allowing is actually necessary and
not just unrelated noise.

Paul.