SELinux kerneloops and dhclient issues

Stephen Croll sdcroll at verizon.net
Wed Sep 10 01:20:36 UTC 2008

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> So it looks like you already have a leaked file descriptor in the shell
> that you are running these commands from
>
> Does ls -lZ /proc/self/fd show anything stange?
Yes it does, fd 25:

[root at gerbil ~]# ls -lZ /proc/self/fd
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 0 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 1 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 2 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 25 -> socket:[18571]
lr-x------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 3 -> /proc/3446/fd

It would appear fd 3 is what ls is using to read the entries in
/proc/self/fd (also verified with strace):

[root at gerbil ~]# ls -lZ /proc/self/fd &
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 0 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 1 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 2 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 25 -> socket:[18571]
lr-x------  root root unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 3 -> /proc/3463/fd
[1] 3463
[1]+  Done                    ls --color=auto -lZ /proc/self/fd

I've been trying to figure out the mysteries of NetworkManager and
mixing wired and wireless connections.  I just noticed that if I don't
have NetworkManager configured at boot, I don't get the AVC denial nor
do I see the socket on fd 25.

Additionally, I noticed that even if NetworkManager is configured at
boot, I don't see the AVC denial/fd 25 issue when running in a virtual
terminal.  Upon further investigation, this issue only seems to occur
when running KDE+konsole, but not KDE+gnome-terminal, nor
GNOME+konsole, nor GNOME+gnome-terminal.

Also, I don't see fd 25 when connecting remotely (over SSH) and
running the above ls command.

--
Steve Croll